Congratulations to all candidates and thanks for standing for election. Could you please share your thoughts on the following.
1. What do you think should be short-term (6-mo or so) objectives for Vacets?
What steps should be taken for us to get there? Please be specific.
2. How would you go about recruiting new members considering Vacets' limited resource? Some brought it up and rightfully so that we need to attract college students etc.
In your view, what do we have to offer them?
3. Vacets has noble cause but good cause alone can't move an organization. We need means for participation. Besides tech conferences, what other programs or activities on or off line do you think can attract interest of, if not galvanize, geographically diverse (and busy) members?
Again thanks for your time and spirit of volunteerism.
There are a few questions that have been raised several times by various members of VACETS. They have been discussed but no conclusion has been reached. As candidates for the VACETS board, please give us your opinion, and plan for these issues:
1) Membership fee: Should we institute a membership fee for VACETS? why or why not?
2) How to encourage others to participate in VACETS activities? Most members of VACETS (may be except student members) are accomplished professional with busy work and family life's, what can VACETS do to attract and keep them involved and interested? And how do we start?
3) VACETS is mostly an Internet organization, and for that to work, we need a better presence on the Internet. In the past we have our website and the many forums (fora ?). Most of the time the website is out of date (and the look is kind of boring) because we don't have dedicate resource to maintain and support it. Most of the forums are also dormant because of lack of interest or lack of resource to keep it interesting. How would you propose we correct this?
4) No funding source: without a membership fee or any other source of funding we have been struggling to organize any activity (e.g. VTIC & Technical Journal) and have been depending on volunteers and hit/miss corporate sponsorships. What are your plan for future activities and how do we pay for them?
5) Marketing: Most of Vietnamese professionals do not know VACETS. We have been recruiting them mostly by words of mouth. It is a chicken and egg problem: without a good membership we will not be known but if we are not known then it's difficult to attract the membership. How do you propose we break this cycle?
Thank you for your responses.
Dat Nguyen (PDF)
Christopher Pham (PDF)
Ban Tran (PDF)
Hùng Nguyen (PDF)